Friday, September 24, 2010

West Coast Adventure: Part 2

Trains.
I love trains. I don't know why - I think I first discovered this appreciation when I moved into my Residence Hall freshman year, to discover we were the closest building to the tracks that divided campus. I remember that first night, lying in bed wondering how this was going to work. And then, magically it was a comforting feeling and I found myself lying in bed waiting on the nightly train to drift off to sleep. Luckily for me, I didn't ever have to wait long, because in a town named College Station, the trains make frequent visits. This fascination continued as I moved, always living within earshot of the trains. Upon my first visit to Chicago, and then New York, I realized how deprived I had been - growing up without this form of transportation. So, every chance we get - we take the train.

So, as Ryan and I planned our West Coast Adventure,of course he found a way to work in a train ride. Unlike train rides before, this one was different. This one was overnight. I was so excited - I couldn't wait. Although it was a little differet than I imagined in my head, it was great. I was transported back to a time when this was the mode of transportation across our country - it was 'old-school' but it was sooo cool!We took advantage of the relaxation time - we napped, listened to Park Guides guide us along the Coast, played cards and even Skip Bo!




No comments: